Monday, August 4, 2014

Saying goodbye to Grandma Mish

Today was my great grandma Mae Mish's funeral. She was 94 years old. I sang with all her girl granddaughters at the funeral. I feel so lucky to have gotten to know my great grandma all these years. I used to go to her house after elementary school, and just visit and do puzzles. She used to recommend books for me to read, even though I thought a lot of them were boring, and then she'd ask me what i learned. She crocheted me beautiful things and stayed up late every night to watch Jay Leno. As she's gotten sick over the past few years, it's been neat to see that she kept her spunk and sense of humor, even though she didn't always know what was going on around her.







I loved taking Dallin to see her when dallin was just a tiny baby. She sat there staring at him and so amazed that she was so old!

I learned a lot at her funeral. I never knew she was so dirt poor for most of her life. I never recognized that she didn't go to church for 30 years because of social anxiety. I had not stopped to contemplate how hard it was to be married to an alcoholic and still be so supportive in their marriage.  I thought about all those years I saw her caring for my dying great grandpa and how unselfish she was after all she had been through with him.

I loved my great grandma. I feel blessed that my kids even got a few years with their great-great grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment