Tuesday, September 4, 2012

And then life changed even more!

My uncle Matt had been diagnosed with Lymphoma and right during the middle of his chemo treatments, we were moving. I decided JaNae's kids needed a break and it worked for them to come down with us to Mesa for a few weeks. So, James drove the moving van, I drove our car with Jackson, Andrew, and Catherine-- and Grandma and Grandpa Matthews followed behind with Spencer and his friend Elliot. We left right after the kids got out of school for the summer and spent the night in St. George at Chris and Stephanie's. We even loaded up Davis the next day and we all came to our new house  here in Mesa. Boy was it a trip. Looking back, I don't know how I did it.... and had energy to just keep on going. Jackson took swim lessons at Kino with Andrew. Our days were fun but busy. I loved having Andrew in my house. If there's one thing I learned from taking care of him, it's that he is SO happy! I wish I were as content as him.... he was always happy to do whatever. Yes, he was hyper and liked to run away.... but for the most part, he just wanted to do what everyone else was doing.

When we weren't playing with cousins and enjoying the summer (aka swimming). My mom and dad had just bought a house on our same street, right next to my brother Brad and his wife. So now, all 3 of our families were on the same street. I feel so lucky to have so much family around!  With Shaela gone to Prescott, I spent the days trying to unpack a few boxes, figure out insurance for the baby that was coming FAST and try to help James get through real estate school. He took a three week course out in Gilbert and was gone every day from 8-5. The kids stayed for two weeks then went back home. We had a few days to ourselves and then James' parents and Spencer came to stay with us for their month long break. It was so nice to have their help with Jackson as we finished moving into their home, rearranging their things, and prepare for our new life. I really learned to appreciate all my in-laws have done to help me. We took a trip to the cabin with everyone and even though I really felt the baby was coming, I enjoyed the time to just relax. The family did everything for me!

















We came home from the trip and within a week, baby Tommie was here! On July 12, I went into the hospital in the morning, turns out Tommie wasn't ready yet and I went back home to take a nap. I ended up swimming at my Mom's instead. The contractions started again within an hour of leaving the hospital, and I was too prideful to go back until  new shift of nurses' came in. By the time we go to the hospital later that night, I was hurting really bad. Contractions were every 4 minutes and James was doing his best to keep me talking. Turns out the hospital was really busy that night and we waited int eh waiting room for about 2 hours. I did my best to stay positive, but by the time they called us back, I was ready for an epidural. I was already at a 9 and 100% effaced. They gave me an epidural in triage while we waited for a delivery room, I finally started to feel a little better as they wheeled us over to a new room. With in half an hour of being in that room, it was time. Although it helped with the pain, I was a lot more alert this time and able to be more involved. As Tommie started to come, the nurse thought his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck. So, after waiting all those hours to get into a room and push, we were all of a sudden trying really hard to NOT have  a baby. I was getting nervous but James was so calm. Dr. Layton came 20 minutes later and right when he walked in, I couldn't wait anymore and Tommie came. Dr. Layton barely had time to get his gloves and robe on! Turns out, the cord was fine and Tommie was perfectly healthy. He weighed 7 lbs 12 oz. and was 20.5 inches long. He had a thick head of black hair, and just like Jackson, he was quiet and alert. So, he was born at 2 AM, on Friday, July 13, 2012.  Referring to Friday the 13th, the nurse commented "If you believe in superstitions, you deny the hand of God."  The spirit was so strong as I held Tommie and I knew he was meant to come to our family. With Jackson, the song "I feel my Savior's love" had come to me, but with Tommie, I just felt extreme peace and knew that I was meant to be his mother. My mom came in with Mansi and Brianna 10 minutes after he was born, and within 2 hours, I was sound asleep...completely worn out. We stayed in the hospital for 2 more days and James stayed by my side the whole time. He was so calm and quiet, and somehow, without him really even saying anything, cheered me on! But, after that first night, he was pretty much asleep on the couch the whole time...that or watching episodes of a TV show "Burn notice" on the I-pad!








We were lucky that Tommie came right before Wilford and Kathleen had to head back. We were glad they got to see their newest grandchild and I was glad to have her help around the house. She had all the carpets cleaned, cooked freezer meals, stocked my pantry, got a new dishwasher, and cleaned everything. She is amazing! Spencer stayed to live with us for another month and boy was he patient to put up with my lack of doing anything but nursing, and napping, and nursing again! Tommie is actually a really good sleeper, and has been since day one. He usually does at least 3-4 hour chunks which just feels great to me!

When Tommie was 2 weeks old, we brought home "Jimmer" our golden retriever. Although he is a wild and crazy puppy, he has instantly become Jackson's best little friend. I sometimes think I'm crazy to have a baby and a puppy, but he sure is cute and we are learning to become dog people! :)



So now, it's been about 2 weeks since Spencer left and we've had the house to ourselves. It has really just hit me, that i moved. I now live on Orange Street, in the house where I would drive by as a teenager, hoping to catch a glimpse of James. I now am a stay at home mom. I have the 2 cutest boys, and little puppy, and a husband that works hard to make a great life for us. My life couldn't get any better!


1 comment:

  1. I love this Shawnne. Congratulations on life! :) You deserve all the joy you have.

    ReplyDelete