Thursday, January 13, 2011

Start the new year off right with...

REPTILE POISONING.

We came back from AZ and all of us had some form of the flu. I thought Jackson's coughing/cold flu has taken a turn for the worse when he started with the strangest diarrhea I'd ever seen and a BAD case of diaper rash. I went to the doctor with the intent to get his second flu shot when she asked about his symptoms. She then asked me if Jackson had ever come in contact with any reptiles. I laughed and said no. "No pet snakes or turtles?" I laughed again and then she told me to think real hard about it because he had all the signs of reptile poisoning. It took me several minutes to realize that we had gone to the Bean Museum's live reptile show where Jackson did touch Mojo, a unique lizard.

"Did you wash his hands immediately after?"

- "No, they only let him touch with 3 fingers."
"Did you at least use sanitizer?"
- No, but I did hand some to the other moms.
Well, then yes, he does have reptile poisoning. He probably spread it through touching his already-runny nose.

This is about when I decided I really should be nominated for mother of the year! She explained that he would continually have worse diarrhea and worse diaper rash. Sure enough, his poor booty had huge bloody scabs all over and he couldn't even sit down or walk without screaming. I even still asked for his second flu shot! They explained I should not immunize a sick and poisoned child. :)

Luckily, I had already been giving him large doses of acidopholis (to help with his cold) and they think that kept it under control. So LOTS of cornstarch and Burt's bees later... he's a new man! Though next time, I'd suggest washing your hands at the Bean Museum.

2 comments:

  1. What the? Poor little guy. And how random too. Great reminder for all of us moms to always have hand sanitizer on hand. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sad, but the way you write is so funny! I knew he was really sick...but you failed to mention Reptile Poisoning! Poor Jackson! That reminds me of the movie, Christmas Story, "...it was....soap...poisoning..."

    ReplyDelete